Dienstag, 21. Oktober 2014

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Top New Series I Want To Start


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. They have lots of interesting ideas for every week, so make sure to check them out!

This week's topic is Top New Series I Want To Start. It got me particulary interested because: Firstly, I decided to blog a bit more than a few times in a year. Secondly, I also decided to write more about books, since it is all I got into reading again this year. And thirdly, there are so many books on my to-be-read pile (around 200!) so why not organize them to keep track on my goodreads shelf disaster.

I have no particular order in my lists, but the very first one is usually the one I'm interested in the most.


1. The Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa
I've been obsessed with fey/faeries recently (thanks to City of Heavenly Fire!), so I've been searching for a good fey book and with this I even get a whole series deal! The plot sounds basically the same as any other YA book series: Girl feels like she doesn't fit in, girl finds out she isn't who she thought she is, girl saves the world with a happy-go-lucky sidekick and a brooding love interest. Nonetheless I'm still looking forward to it, since its sequel series looks a bit more interesting (but of course I need to read the original series first!). I plan to buy the complete collection next month or at least when I get my paycheck, so fingers crossed!

2. The Daughter of Smoke & Bone series by Laini Taylor
If you keep track on my goodreads account you've probably have seen, that  I'm actually reading it right now! When I first heard of this series, there was much hype about the characters and the author. But being the pessimistic reader I was then, I wasn't really intrigued by the premise of an angel and a demon falling in love. It came to me as too clichéd, so I never even passed it a glance. But with the time I really came to hate the typical YA characters, so I was looking for some with unique traits and what did I find? This series. So might as well as give it a try. Also the cover of the german edition (which I'm reading because I borrowed it) is absolutely gorgeous!

3. The Shiver Trilogy by Maggie Stiefvater
As you might know I absolutely LOVE Maggie Stiefvater, and her writing style in particular. She just has this unique easiness with her words you can't find anywhere. I already read her standalone book The Scorpio Races (which I also reviewed) and this was when I first fell in love with her books. So with TSC and The Raven Boys already read (which I also give props for its unique plot and setting), I decided to pick up her most famous series yet. I was very reluctant to read this, because the plot very much sounds like a Twilight Fanfiction, and I didn't want to ruin my view of her works and capabilities. But my friends have been bugging me to read this for the longest time, so I finally went ahead and picked it up yesterday. Review to come!

4. The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
I know what you think, 'NANA HAS NOT READ HARRY POTTER? DISHONOR ON YOUR COW!'. Don't worry my friends already yelled these words at me enough to finally get the first book. To my defense, I watched all the movies, sans the very last one because that's when my DVD player broke, so it's not like I know nothing about the wizardry world. Years ago, I actually read the first book but I can't remember anymore. Coincidentally (or maybe it is fate?) I went to the flea market quite often this summer, and guess what I got for only one buck? The first book in all its first printed glory! So of course I read it in like three days, and I'm already planning to get the whole collection - when I saved up enough money of course :P

5. Divergent by Veronic Roth
I watched the movie and while the plot didn't really make me obsess about it like THG, I find the world and its system really interesting, so I might want to read it as a book. This series was also recommended by my best friend, who literally cannot shut up about it.

6. The Magisterium series by Cassandra Clare and Holly Black
A book written by one of my favorite authors? And it's about a boarding school of magic? With a female POC as one of the main characters? That's an instant YES from me, nothing else. I don't care about the comparisons to Harry Potter, I just want this freaking book! (On a side note: I've never read about an Iranian character before, so that's a huge bonus interest point for me!)

7. The Seraphina books by Rachel Hartmann
Dragons AND kickass queens AND math? An odd combination but it sounds like an interesting premise!

8. The Curse Workers series by Holly Black
I tried to listen to the audiobook but it was horribly cut, so I mght as well try to read it. Also, it's Holly Black, fight me.

9. The Maze Runner series by James Dashner
I actually read the first half of the first book, but gave up, because I didn't like the main character. But last friday I watched the movie (Dylan O'brien! Ki Hong Lee!) with my friends and it totally got me hooked again! Hopefully it will turn out better than what I've yet read. *fingers crossed*

10. Noughts & Crosses by Malorie Blackman
These books are not the usual type of YA fiction; you can probably categorize it into dystopian fiction, but actually not really. It deals with a reverse world, in which the Whites are the oppressed people and the Blacks are privileged. I think, this is an interesting form of social commentary or rather critic. With my never-ending urge to discuss racism (I just wrote a whole essay about it yesterday) I feel like this book has been written for me to think upside down.

So this makes my top 10 (new) book series! I'm sorry for the amount of rather old series, but I feel like they deserve a mention in this list.
What are your favorite new book series you want to start? Comment down below and let me know, I would love to read your suggestions! Also, if you already did this week's meme, feel free to link me to your blog, I will most definitely check it out.

Nana

Kommentare:

  1. Great picks! I LOVE the Noughts and Crosses series and Harry Potter, they've been two of my favourite series since I was a kid. I really want to start the Shiver series and Daughter of Smoke and Bone, have heard great things about both. I hope you can get to some of these soon :) Here's my TTT.

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Hey Charnell!
      Thanks! Yeah, it's really about time I jump onto the Harry Potter bandwagon. Although I've already watched the movies, I feel like there's something essentially missing. But that's alwas the point with book-turned-into-movies right?
      I checked out your TTT, lovely picks you have there :)

      Löschen
  2. I won't yell at you about HP, but it is definitely worth the hype. I really loved the Iron Fey series and fairies aren't even my supernatural creature of choice. Divergent is really good as well. Happy reading!

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Thanks! Faeries are totally fascinating and I heard Kagawa has a series about vampires too...

      Löschen
  3. Aww! You've got some AMAZING series up ahead of you. Enjoy them! Your first experience with reading HP?! It'll be the best. You'll be begging for time to stop in order for you to devour them without interruption from the real world! DoSaB is pretty much one of my favourite series. I hope you enjoy it. If the first book puts you of a tad, then wait for the second before you make any drastic decisions; it has a completely different tone! And ahhh...The Iron Fey. I did the audiobook the other day and just couldn't get into it. The narrator spoke too slowly and in the end I just DNF'd. It was unfortunate (but probably my fault for choosing audio in the first place!) Like I said, enjoy these books! x

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. GAH I can't wait to get the whole HP collection *grabby hands*
      I already love Smoke and Bone (I'm halfway through) how can this series get any better?
      Yeah, that's why I avoid audiobooks as much as possible, mainly because of the narrator's narration of characters of the opposite gender. It just puts me off how male narrators always HAVE to go two octaves higher when a female character speaks. Ugh.

      Löschen
  4. How are you like Smoke and Bone? Have you finished it yet? OMG WAIT UNTIL YOU READ GODS AND MONSTERS. Your feels will be out of control!!

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. I'm already halfway through. Can't imagine how this series can get any better, my feels are already everywhere!

      Löschen
  5. Okay (my thoughts):

    -The Iron Fey: only read book 1, but it was good. Love-triangle that wasn't necessary, but not despicable.
    -Daughter of Smoke and Bone: here again, only read book 1, but IT WAS EXTRAORDINARY. Very recommended :)
    -The Shiver: only read book 1 and actually DNFed...because it was 1)predictable, 2)slow. 3)boring and 4)werevolves are hit or miss for me.
    -Harry Potter: have read, except for the last book and, I know you heard it a thousand times but, YOU HAVE TO READ IT, PERSON I JUST MET!
    -Divergent: actually finished book 2 last week. Was great but book 1 is the best. You will love it.
    -Magisterium: Huh, don't read this, it was almost a rip-off of HP!! And not interesting at all, contrary to HP!!!!!!
    -Seraphine: I read 2 pages then put aside because I wasn't in the mood for dragons. :P
    -The Curse Workers: I want to read it too!!!
    -The Maze Runner: was quite intriguing. Worth reading!
    -Noughts & Crosses: have NEVER heard of it but will check it out!

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. I just finished Shiver and it wasn't my cup of tea either. The cheese was everywhere. I am SO disappointed because I looove Stiefvater's Scorpio Races and The Raven Cycle trilogy, why was this book so different? Also, insta-love is a big NO-NO for me,

      Löschen