Sonntag, 10. Januar 2016

SERIES REVIEW: Healer

Tomorrow is the day I dreaded the most during the last three weeks: The start of my very last semester of high school, and with that the hell that is going to be preps for my final graduation exams. Though everyone keeps telling me to already have prepared to study during my holidays, I still didn't waste any thoughts on school. Whoops.
Will I ever find the motivation to overcome my procrastinating me? Oh dear god, I hope so.


This review for Healer is looong overdue anyways, so there goes my studying time. My priorities are straight with this one, guys.


The Premise
Kim Moon-Ho (Yoo Ji-Tae) is a popular reporter at major broadcasting company. One day, he learns the truth of a case that took place in the past. He intentionally approaches people who are related to the case and helps them. While doing so, he agonizes over the truth and beliefs.

Meanwhile, with the help of Kim Moon-Ho, internet reporter Chae Young-Shin (Park Min-Young) and Seo Jung-Hoo (Ji Chang-Wook), known as "Healer," grow into real reporters. 

I've never seen Ji Chang-wook, nor Yoo Ji-tae in a drama before, so I at first was shocked at the merry eye candy in this one. Ji Chang-wook is a flower boy, obviously, - his adorable smile got me squealing every time. Doesn't hurt, that his character's alter ego is also such a dork, and I love me some hot adorkable damsels in distress saved by the female lead. Though as the Healer he did get to show his badassery. I was surprised, when I found out in an interview that JCW's actual personality resembled his dorky alter ego.
Yoo Ji-tae is, gosh. I need a moment. The emotions coming from his acting are amazing. Normally I would totally dislike his character; mysterious nice guys with ulterior motives always get me ending up disgusted. But something in his acting just makes his motives genuine and raw - and I absolutely loved it.
I've seen Park Min-young in Sungkyunkwan Scandal before, she is as pretty as ever. Her character was a ray of sunshine, and I loved her dynamic with her dad. Though she did not physically kick ass, I loved that Young-shin always knew what she wanted and was aware of her weaknesses and strengths. She knew her limits and wasn't afraid to let others know; that was really refreshing to me.

I was so afraid of a love triangle, but thank God, the writers got some sense and let Jeong-hoo and Young-shin be the only OTP. Yoo Ji-tae's character with YS would be a bit creepy, considering he is considered an uncle to her. Pairing him with her mom would have make things even more painful as it already was for her. I was glad he finally came back to his ex; she didn't deserve to be thrown away for revenge like that.

The pacing in the first 10-14 episodes were perfectly fine. I was surprised Young-shin found out his identity and they became a couple so quickly, but at the same time I was glad. It spared us a shit ton of angst, and angst was something I felt strongly in the last five episodes. I don't know if it was because the pace suddenly picked up, like the writer would squeeze the remaining resolutions into the last three episodes, but they sure got me on my toes with the cliffhangers.
As always, I found some loose ends not knotted (tightly enough), that it would make me be truly satisfied. Like the sudden reunion between mother and daughter with the writers just diregarding Mom's illness. However, the characters were much too loveable that I could say something bad about the whole drama. The concept of Healer was fun, though in my opinion it wasn't explained thoroughly. I kind of wish we would get to see if there is going to be a next Healer I got my fingers crossed for the minion.

4.6 out of 5 stars.


Unfortunately it has been two weeks since I finished the drama, which is why I barely can remember any details, so I'm really sorry for this short review. I have been busy traveling around and procrastinating school work, that I totally forgot to write my thoughts down. Sadly, I haven't found a good drama in a while to binge-watch, so I settled with movies and currently airing dramas. Hopefully I get the time and motivation to review them sometime.

Until then!

Nana



Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen