Donnerstag, 4. August 2016

Hello From the Other Side, I Must've Called A Grand Total of Zero Times

...literally the other side. And I really did not update even once in the past few months.

I'm in Indonesia right now, killing time until University life starts (ack!), which is literally on the other side of the globe from Germany. Much has happened since I last checked in; I did my high school finals with grandeur (or at least I did my best at it), turned 18 and finally graduated!

I still can't really believe school is over for me... it dictated the better part of my life, and after graduation I didn't know if I should feel exhausted or relieved or bewildered as of what to do now that I have so much free time. Still don't know, actually.

It's so funny how now that I'm here my sense of time seems to not have come with me. I don't have deadlines to meet, so every morning I wake up disoriented, not knowing what day and what time it is. It's weird, but wasn't that what I was dreaming of in my senior year? Of not having my life set to a schedule?

Aaanyway, it's not that I did absolutely nothing. I'm in my hometown right now, and it's crazy how much has changed since the last time I was here. The traffic has gotten busier, the food doesn't seem to taste as good as I remembered it to be, and 21°C feels like 5°C here.
When you finally go back to your old home, you find it wasn't the old home you missed but your childhood. - Sam Ewing.
I feel like this quote hits home (harr harr) quite close. I've been thinking a lot during my travels; much of them containing 'what if's: What if my family never moved to Germany? What if we moved back here? Would my parents fit in like a missing puzzle into society?

After all it seems like as much as I complain about Germany, I wouldn't have it any other way. Indonesia is a wonderful country, and although a good part of the familiarity is still there it doesn't feel like 'home' anymore. Does that make sense? I don't know.

Coming to the topic of books, I've been reading a lot of literature about Indonesia in preparation for my trip. Pulang by Leila S. Chudori really stood out to me from the bunch, not only because my parents used to read her works in high school a lot, but also because the book speaks up about themes that were taboo for a very long time. I try to post a review while I'm here, but I want to do proper research on the topic a bit, so it's probably going to take a while.

As for movies, I've watched a lot of them during my 16-hour flight. Batman v. Superman and the Age of Adeline were surprisingly a miss for me. I really looked forward watching them, and while the aesthetics were stunning for both movies, the plot seemed to drift away in the second half. I absolutely loved Kung Fu Panda 3 though, it made me remember how much I adored the first movie.

That's it for now though, I try to post up some stuff about the volunteer work I've been looking into and maybe some 17th August goodness.

Ciao
Nana


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen